Gifts Of Stock
GIFTS OF STOCK
DONATING STOCK TO ST. VINCENT DE PAUL GEORGIA IS QUICK AND EASY!
Donating appreciated stock is an extremely simple, easy and tax-effective way to make a gift to St. Vincent de Paul Georgia. These gifts make a bigger impact and can have tremendous tax benefits for donors. When you donate stock to St. Vincent de Paul Georgia, your gift goes directly to the programs and services that change the lives of neighbors in need.
HOW TO GIVE STOCK
Transfer shares of stock to support St. Vincent de Paul Georgia and neighbors in need with the following information:
|ACCOUNT NAME:||SOCIETY OF ST. VINCENT DE PAUL GEORGIA, INC.|
|BROKERAGE CONTACT NAME:||JACKIE BOWEN|
|SVDP GEORGIA TAX ID:||58-0967972|
CONTACT US AT GIFTS@SVDPGEORGIA.ORG WITH YOUR NAME AND CONTACT INFO, THE NAME OF THE STOCK AND THE NUMBER OF SHARES YOU WISH TO DONATE.
DONOR INFORMATION IS NOT ALWAYS INCLUDED WHEN STOCK GIFTS ARE RECEIVED.
PLEASE NOTIFY SVDP GEORGIA ABOUT A FORTHCOMING GIFT OF STOCK SO THAT YOU AND YOUR GIFT WILL BE PROPERLY ACKNOWLEDGED.
St. Vincent de Paul Georgia accepts gifts of publicly traded, appreciated stock.
Gifts of closely held stock are not accepted by St. Vincent de Paul Georgia.
There is no need to obtain an appraisal, no matter what size the donation.
The value is based on what the stock or other security sold for on the exchange the day of the donation.
FOR GIFTS OF APPRECIATED STOCK THAT THE DONOR HAS OWNED FOR MORE THAN 1 YEAR:
- Donor never has to pay capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the stock.
- Donor gets a deduction equal to the full Fair Market Value of the stock at the time of transfer.
- Donor may also save by not incurring brokerage fees because transferring ownership rather than selling the stock.
- Additionally, because it has been given to charity, the stock will not be subject to estate tax upon donor’s death if given through bequest.
- SVdP Georgia never has to pay capital gains on the donated stock either.
FOR GIFTS OF STOCK THAT HAVE GONE DOWN IN VALUE:
IN THIS CASE, IT IS MOST OFTEN BETTER FOR THE DONOR TO SELL THE STOCK, GIVE THE SALES PROCEEDS TO ST. VINCENT DE PAUL GEORGIA AND DEDUCT THE LOSS.
- Donor can use the loss to offset gains they had from the sale of other assets during the year.
- Taxpayers can also deduct up to $3,000 in capital losses each year from ordinary income.